Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Turning a bad day around

Well Nellie got home from church today and decided to be in a bad mood. I'm not sure if it was because her nap was cut short or what. But she was a booger trying to eat lunch. After lunch she was just crying and screaming for no apparent reason. So I decided she needed a pick-me-up. I took her outside and let her play with water. I filled up a bowl and platter and her her have at it. Then I turned on the hose to let her play with that.  She loved it! Except when she accidently sprayed herself in the face! 
I have been feeling really convicted lately about not doing more structured activities with her.  I have been reading toddler wise and it suggests doing fun things with them instead of just letting them roam around going from toy to toy to toy. (Which is what I usually let her do). Although there is a time for that, there also needs to be a time for Nellie to learn to focus on one thing for an extended period of time. When I let her do whatever she wants to do for too long she ends up in all kinds of mischief! 
So we ended up having a lot of fun despite her mood. After the water I let her play on the trampoline for awhile, which she loves! And now she is quietly sleeping! yay for wearing her out!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what adorable photos, she is a doll melissa! i know what you mean about set activities, kids (even little ones!) love structure/organization. i think it makes them feel safe, knowing what comes next, set times for lunch, set outside play, alone time play, etc. you are such an awesome mommy! it's a joy watching your family grow :)

Unknown said...

She's not a toddler; she's a baby. Toddlers toddle; she doesn't walk. ;)

I think this is all an April fool's joke. Everyone knows that Nellie is a perfect angel.

Should we find out the sex of the baby?